SEND Information

Freegrounds Junior School is a mainstream Local Authority school in Hampshire.  This Local Offer and SEN Information report outlines the requirements as detailed in the SEND Code of Practice 2014. Our aims are (SEND Policy 2017):

  • To identify and assess at entry to and throughout the school those children with special educational needs.
  • To address each child’s social, intellectual, emotional and behavioural needs individually.
  • To provide structured differentiated programmes of work to facilitate every child’s access to the school’s broad and balanced curriculum.
  • To ensure effective communication within school, with outside agencies, pupils and parents to meet individual needs to ensure inclusion and progress.
  • To create a fully inclusive school society in which all members see themselves valued for the contribution they make.

2. What is the Local Offer and what does it do?
The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a Local Offer of all services available to support children with SEND and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower SEND and the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

The Hampshire framework will allow the Local Offer to provide parents / carers with information about to how to access services in their area and what they can expect from those services. With regard to Education, it will let parents /carers and young people know how school and colleges will support them and what they can expect across local settings.

3. Where can I find further information on the Local Authority’s Local Offer?
The Local Authority also provides a ‘Local Offer’ which details the services they expect to be available in their area for children and young people form birth to twenty five who have special educational needs and or disabilities (SEND). The ‘Local Offer’ also provides information on services outside of the area, which they expect children and young people from their area will use.  More information can be found at Page

4. How does the school know if children need extra help?
The school has a SEND Co-ordinator who is responsible for:

  • the day to day operation of the schools SEND policy
  • co-ordinating provision for children with special education needs by liaising with teaching staff and learning support assistants.
  • maintaining the schools SEND register and overseeing the records on all pupils with special educational needs
  • supporting class teachers in the liaison with parents of children with special educational needs
  • contributing to the in-service training of staff
  • liaising with external agencies including the Educational Psychology Service and other support agencies, medical and social services and voluntary bodies
  • maintaining a smooth transition of pupils from Key stage 1 to Key stage 2 and Key stage 2 to Key stage 3.
  • working with other SENCOs within a support group.

We recognise that early identification on entry to the school is a priority if we are to meet the individual needs of children with SEND.  To aid the identification process we use a range of screening methods.

Identification is through:

  • school records related to National Curriculum progress and age related expectations
  • previous school records and pupil profiles
  • parental information
  • reference to Hampshire County Council’s SEND criteria
  • teacher assessment and observation
  • medical records
  • whole school screening procedures-standardised/norm and criterion referenced tests in spelling:

Single Word Spelling Test
Yearly QCA Assessment Tests in Literacy and Numeracy.

The Dyslexia Screening Test, Reading age test, Sandwell Early Numeracy Test, Quest and British Picture Vocabulary Scale tests are available for screening purposes.

All pupils who transfer from Year 2 on the SEN register will routinely be screened for dyslexia at the end of the first half of the Autumn term in Year 3. Later screenings are carried out for pupils if there are concerns raised either by the class teacher, LSA, SENDCo or parents/carers.

5. How can I let the School know if I am concerned about my child?
If you have any concerns in regards to you child:

  • Talk to us – firstly contact your child’s class teacher or SENDCo or Head teacher
  • We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents. We are open and honest with parents and hope that they are able to do the same with us.
  • Refer to Freegrounds Junior School’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilty Policy for specific details on roles and responsibilities.

6. How will the School support my child?

  • The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. If they are identified with SEND, they will have a SEND support plan with specific targets related to their needs which may include involvement from External Agencies, such as Occupational Therapy, SALT.  Additional general support may be provided by the teacher or teaching assistant in the class.
  • Small group ‘Close the Gap’ support may be available for any pupils who have specific gaps in their understanding or area of learning. These pupils are identified on a Class Action Plan (CAPs) and are reviewed half termly.
  • There may be a Learning Support Assistant (LSA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group; if this is seen as necessary by the class teacher. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to parents when the support starts and be identified on their Individual Education Plan.
  • Pupils will have their support explained to them and are able to contribute their views particularly in relation to provision for them. They are also invited to give their views as part of any Inclusion Partnership Agreement(IPA), or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
  • On occasion, a child may need more expert support from an external agency, such as Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher Advisors etc. A referral or a recommendation of referral will be made either by the school or by parents / carers (supported by the school). Once the referral has been accepted and assessed, a support programme is usually provided to the school and parents / carers.
  • Where a child has demonstrated significant cause for concern over a period of time or has severe, complex or lifelong needs, an assessment for an Educational, Health and Care Plan will be made. An EHC needs assessment will not always lead to an EHC plan. The information gathered during an EHC needs assessment may indicate ways in which the school, college or other provider can meet the child or young person’s needs without an EHC plan.
  • Our SENDCo oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school.

7. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • Within the schools inclusion and equal opportunities policy all children are given access to the full range of curricular and extra-curricular activities.
  • A range of teaching strategies and approaches are used to enable effective differentiation.
  • Numeracy and Literacy are both taught in classes but with LSA support and differentiated work. Additional resources (such as concrete apparatus or ICT equipment) are also available to support progress.
  • Intervention programmes are used for those pupils who are falling slightly behind government expectations for their age appropriate level.
  • When children are withdrawn from specific teaching support related to SEND targets, it is planned to ensure that full access to the curriculum is not compromised.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, disco-sit cushions, pencil grips, triangular pens / pencils, coloured overlays etc.
  • If a child is unable to participate in an aspect of the curriculum due to their SEND, another appropriate activity will be available to meet their needs.

8. How will I know how my child is doing?

  • We are committed to the policy of home-school partnership and acknowledge that the value of parent’s views and wishes are of paramount importance.
  • SEND support plans will be shared with parents and pupils on a termly basis. On the first meeting they are asked to sign and outline their involvement and support.
  • Parents/carers are invited to parent-teacher consultation meetings for further discussion
  • Parents / carers are invited to contribute to EHCP plan reviews and attend any associated meetings.
  • As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against National expectations and age related expectations.
  • Results of screening tests (such as the dyslexia screening test) will be shared with parents if children are identified as ‘at risk’.
  • The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. As a school, we track children’s progress from entry at Year 3 through to Year 6 using key performance indicators and progress against set objectives for their year group.
  • Children who are not making expected progress are picked up through Pupil Progress meetings between the Class teacher and Senior Leaders. In this meeting a discussion takes place concerning why individual children are experiencing difficulty and what further support can be given to aid their progression.
  • When the child’s SEND support plan is reviewed comments are made against each target to show what progress the child has made. If the child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach may be tried to ensure the child does make progress.
  • Appointments can be made via the School Office to speak in more detail to the Class Teacher or SENDCo at a mutually convenient time.

9. How will the school help me to support my child at home?

  • The class teacher / SENDCo may suggest ways of how you can support your child at home.
  • If External agencies are involved, then it is likely that recommendations for use in the home will be provided.
  • Parental guidance booklets for specific areas such as ‘Helping your child read’ and ‘Numeracy skills’, are available and regularly sent home to parents and are available on the school website.
  • Homework may be differentiated according to your child’s needs, e.g. Look, Cover, Write, Check books for spelling.
  • A home / school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

10. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

  • We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being. We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.
  • The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be the parents’ first point of contact. If further support is required the class teacher liaises with the SENDCo for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Services, and/or the Primary Behaviour Service.
  • There is also access to the services of a trained counsellor should the school and parents agree this is a suitable course of action for the child.
  • The Governors of Freegrounds Junior School are responsible for entrusting a named person, to monitor Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures.

11. What specialist services and expertise are available at or assessed by the school?
Available in school:

  • ELSA – Emotional Literacy Support Assistants
  • Outreach from Specialist Schools

Additional resources that the school can access through the Local Authority / local providers

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Primary Behaviour Service
  • Social Services
  • Counselling – Outreach service provided by our feeder secondary school.
  • CAMHs – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

12. How are the staff in school supported to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

•  Every school must employ a special educational needs coordinator (SENDCo). At Freegrounds Junior school the SENDCo             is Mrs Sarah Robinson who has been a qualified teacher for 17 years and who is also fully accredited with the SEN                      qualification ‘National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination’.
• The Headteacher, SENDCo and the Governing Body will regularly assess the SEND needs of the staff. This is done through           Performance Management Cycles, whole school self-evaluation and actions relating to the Single Plan. Training will be met         through whole school INSET e.g. Behaviour support or individual training courses.
• Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of                 specific children in their class e.g. from special school Outreach service

13. How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom, including school trips?

  • All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.
  • A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.
  • All children have the opportunity to participate in any after-school club. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in a club, then this will be discussed with the parents.

14. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Freegrounds Junior School or transferring to a new class or school?
We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:
    • Contact will be made with the new school’s SENDCo and ensure he/she knows any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
    • All records about you child are passed on as soon as possible to the new school.
  • Moving between classes at Freegrounds:
    • Information will be passed onto the new class teacher in advance at a liaison meeting between the current and new teachers. All SEND information will be shared as part of this meeting.
    • Any additional resources / equipment that may help to support your child understand ‘moving on’ then this will be identified through SEND support plan.
  • In Year 6:
  • The SENDCo will liaise with the secondary school SENDCo to discuss the specific needs of your child.
  • If your child may require extra-transition or support with transition for secondary school, then this will be arranged on a needs basis and will be identified as part of their IEP or Inclusion Partnership Agreement (IPA).
  • All SEND records are transferred to their secondary school.
  • Wildern school staff visit all pupils joining their school as part of the transition process.

15. How are schools resources allocated and matched to children’s Special Educational Needs and how accessible is the school environment?

  • We ensure that all children who have Special Educational Needs are met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available.
  • We have a team of LSAs who are funded from the SEN budget and deliver programmes designed to meet groups and / or individual children’s needs.
  • The annual SEND notional budget is allocated proportionate to need. The Children who have the most complex needs are given the most support, often involving an LSA.
  • As a school we are happy to discuss any individual access arrangements. At present we have the following:
  • Wheelchair accessible doors on the ground floor
  • Disabled toilet and shower room
  • Hearing Loop facility in the main hall

16. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • The class teacher alongside the SENDCo will discuss the child’s needs and what support would be appropriate.
  • Different children will require different levels of support in order to close the gap to achieve age expected levels.
  • Decisions are based upon school-based and outside agency assessments, pupil progress and / or discussions with parents.
  • Access arrangements (such as a reader, scribe or additional time) for public examinations will be sought following guidelines and criteria from the related Examination body.

17. How will I be involved in discussions about planning for my child’s education?

  • We are committed to the policy of home-school partnership and acknowledge that the value of parent’s views and wishes are of paramount importance.
  • We recognise that parents know their children better than anyone else and therefore information, which they can supply to the school concerning their child’s difficulties, is invaluable and sought after / during liaison meetings.
  • Where a concern is initiated by a parent, we will discuss this with them at the earliest possible opportunity
  • SEND support plans will be shared with parents and pupils on a termly basis. At each meeting they are asked to sign and discuss their involvement and support.
  • Parents are invited to parent-teacher consultation meetings for further discussion.
  • Educational Psychologist Consultation forms are shared with parents and they are invited to record their views on the form.  Likewise, parents are invited to the Annual Reviews and may contribute in writing.
  • Discussions with the SENDCo and / or other External Agencies.

18. Where can I find further information on SEND at Freegrounds Junior School?
If you wish to discuss you child’s educational needs or raise a concern please contact the school office in the first instance so we can make an appointment for you to see the relevant member of staff.

  • School website – The SEND Policy is available for all to read – send-policy-2016
  • Contact the school office on 01489 782295 to arrange a meeting with your child’s class teacher and / or SENDCo.

The current SENDCo is:
Mrs Sarah Robinson
Freegrounds Junior School
Hobb Lane
Hedge End
SO30 0GG
Phone                        01489 782295
Fax                           01489 790282

The school SEND Governor is Mrs Debra Batchelor and she can also be contacted via the school office.

We hope these questions and responses have answered any queries you may have but please do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any further questions.