Friday 18th October 2019
Your Spelling Rule
In accordance with the school’s spelling policy, a ‘Secret 5’ spelling test will take place on the last week of each half-term. You will be tested on 5 random spellings taken from the last five spellings tests, so please re-familiarise yourselves with all of these words in preparation for the test. (There will be no ‘Secret 5’ test for children with personalised spellings.)
Your Spelling Words
13.9.19 – Suffix – ed
- Children chatted at the school gates.
- I searched for my house keys.
- The girl smiled at the dentist.
- His holiday was all planned.
- They all clapped in collective worship.
20.9.19 – Prefix – un
- The football team had an unlucky result.
- ‘Untie your apron and tidy up,’ the teacher said.
- He had to unfold the sheets to make the bed.
- The children were unhappy because their team had lost.
- The girl was unwell after riding the roller-coaster 5 times!
27.9.19 – Prefix –dis
- The magician made the rabbit disappear.
- Try not to displease your teacher!
- ‘I disagree,’ the boy shouted.
- You should tell the truth and not be dishonest.
- I dislike peas with my roast dinner.
4.10.19 – Apostrophe for contraction
- He doesn’t like chocolate cake very much.
- I’ve been to the park today.
- I’m looking forward to swimming later.
- A plant can’t survive without water.
- Don’t run in the corridor.
11.10.19 – Statutory words
- I can imagine the story in my head.
- Can you describe the peach?
- The address is written at the top right of a letter.
- Please arrive on time.
- Continue straight ahead.
(All children are to learn the spellings above unless personalised spellings are written in their home school diary. Please note children with personalised spellings will be tested and issued new spellings either on Wednesday or Thursday. Personalised spellings may only be issued for a few weeks or longer depending on the needs of individual children – we are aiming to ensure all children are making progress at a level that suits them).
Please learn spellings ready for a test on Thursday 24th October. You will be tested only on the word in bold, but it is helpful to learn them in context.
As a way to help you learn your spellings we would like you to practice the 5 (or more) words that you find the trickiest to remember or your personalised spellings using some of the strategies stuck in your spelling homework books.
Homework due: Thursday 24th October
Please use your handwriting homework book to practise your spellings. Put the short date at the top of the page and then write the 5 words you find the trickiest to remember or your personalised spellings out 5 times in your neatest joined handwriting.
Handwriting due: Thursday 24th October
Times tables- TT Rockstars
In school next week you will be practising the 10 times tables. The main focus is on increasing your mental recall speed for these times tables facts.
You should also ensure you are reading to an adult at home, try to record this in your home school diary at least 3 times a week. Remember 20 reads = a house point!
Home school diaries
Home school diaries should be in school each day as they are often used to share informal messages as well as to record weekly test results and reading with an adult. We would like to remind you to please make sure home school diaries are signed by an adult each week as a way to acknowledge this information is being shared. Teachers will also sign each weekly page on a Friday.
Special book reminder
As part of our Religious Education topic this half term we will be looking at special books. To help the children understand this topic, we would like them to bring in a book from home that is special to them. During a circle time on Thursday 24th we will share these books and children will explain why it is special to them.